Monday, January 30, 2012

Sorry I wasn't in class


Hey everybody. 


Woke up today feeling sick as a dog so I thought it would be best to stay in bed rather than trying to get to class. So instead I decided to share some of the ideas I've had for my wearable wood. 
Explanation after the jump. 



Ok, so here it goes. 


My basic plan is to make a long-ish coat out of wood, probably down to mid thigh or to the knees. I'm not entirely sure what I would want to do for any accessories for it yet.

I saw what Ike wrote about having a multitude of wooden pieces strung together with cord and I found a similar process/design here. After some further research into it I realized that it would take way too much time and energy to do effectively. 

So I looked around the Net for a few more hours before I found the work of Lisa Strozyk. Her portfolio website is here, and she does some pretty remarkable stuff with wood. Particularly her work making wooden textiles seemed perfect for what I'm trying to accomplish with this project. 

She uses very thin pieces of veneer that she cuts with a laser cutter to save time (something I probably won't be able to do), then she glues the pieces to the cloth individually. She uses some 5000 pieces for a queen-sized bedspread. What is really astounding is the flexibility that her pieces have. 

I'm planning on mimicking her process for making the wooden textiles, replacing a rug or sheet with a coat however. 


See you guys Wednesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment